Saturday, March 17, 2012

The Journey to find the best water enhancer

We are always being told we need more water. I've been told that we need 8 ounces, then I was told we needed 8 cups. According to the Mayo Clinic, men need 3 liters(13 cups) and women need 2.2 liters(9 cups.) So in this journey of getting enough water I got sick if just drinking straight water.
You can't always stick to it unless you are used to it but it's just so, bland. So when they started coming out with all these flavored waters I got excited. I was grabbing lemon and raspberry flavored Dasani when it first came out. At least I think it was Dasani. Those tasted like crap but oh well. It was water but didn't taste like water.
Then when I got sick of those, I started with Crystal Light. At first they were A-MAZ-ING! Watered tasted like actual fruit punch. I've tried every flavor available. When they would come out with a new one or I'd see one I'd never tried, I'd buy it. Of course they have probably over 20 flavors and I've tried them all a hundred times.
After a couple of years drinking Crystal Light I started working in a vitamin store and then I was told that it has an ingredients that causes cancer. I freaked, through the stuff out. Of course I went looking for information on it and the only thing I've found was information on it containing Aspartame. There was a list of side affects that Aspartame can cause but the list is just too long.
But Aspartame is in just about everything. We really can't escape it.
So next I started drinking Mio. It's a good water enhancer but there are two draw backs.
1.) Not enough flavors. I think at the most there are 10, at least what I have been able to get my hands on.
2.) For what you spend for the bottle, there isn't enough. At my local stores, Mio ranges from $2.50 to over $3. That is crazy to me.
I had a temporary addiction to Mio because of those reasons. If they came out with more flavors, and either gave more in the bottle or made it cheaper, I wont be buying them again.
My current addiction is Ocean Spray On The Go Drink Mixes. There aren't as many flavors as Crystal Light but that's okay for me, for right now. Since I wore myself out on the Crystal Light, I"m sure I'll get sick of Ocean Spray too. But like I said, it's my current addiction.

1 comment:

  1. I stumbled across your blog and started reading realizing how much what you have revealed about your life resonates with my own. I will be using your blog as reading material as it's interesting to read about how someone else is handling my life.

    as for the water, I too have had this challenge. I found the tetley infusions to be a wonderful addition to water. they are not 0 calorie, but are a wonderful treat made from real brewed tea apparently.

    ReplyDelete